Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Another month, another Blog

My first Blog of September. Having just sent out an e-mail to the masses, i thought that i had better add something recent, in case i get any more followers. I might even start to measure my popularity by this....Going back to my geekyness, i have just had confirmation of my first success on the 'texting' using Skype. I feel that i might have finally joined the 21st century now, both in terms of having the gadgets, but also that i know how to use them.

So what has been going on? You should all know about our trip to 'Welly' from 'Palmy' (the language barrier is very easy to overcome). A beautiful city, or to be more accurate, a medium sized town. But i like that; i have never really liked large cities where the foreign students practically force you under the nearest black cab. I tried to take one of those long exposure type photos of cars going down a street at night. It took over half an hour for enough cars to be
passing to make it any good (even then it was a bit crap!). I found it quite strange to see a capital city so quiet.

We enjoyed a lot of fish, complemented by some good wines overlooking the harbour. The hotel we were staying in has a baby-sitting service so Liz and I were able to go and let our hair down for an evening. A really good idea, and maybe there is a niche in the market in the U.K?

We have continued to explore our immediate surrounds in Palmy, and recently went to explore the Te Apiti wind farm which runs along the ridge behind Palmy. That is where this Blogs selection of photos comes from. We chose a good day to go, as i could hardly open the car door due to the strength of the winds up on the ridge. I found them very therapeutic to watch maybe ...i have been in this country too long already!?

Other exciting news....we have finally got round to getting a dishwasher! Hurrah! The old one was becoming very unreliable, and had the cheek to ask me to help....(i am so brave when she has gone to bed!) I therefore did the only thing that made sense. It was purchased via TradeMe, which is the Kiwi version of eBay. It has served us well already, always after a bargain, me! Lets hope it lasts!

One of the many turbines.....GEEK!

The Hobbits were really pissed off with the new fangled wind things...

It was a bad hair day at the wind farm...

A little less windy at the bottom (careful!)

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand the attraction for wind turbines. It can all be traced to the Geek gene that is clearly dominant in this family. I saw my first really big wind farm on Wolfe Island off Kingston, Ontario, just the other day. The only problem is that they are seriously inefficient and before that long are going to end up as a lot of rusty piles of immobile hardware. A great concept but overblown...sorry about that...as a solution to renewable resource acquisition.
    Love Bud

    ReplyDelete