Monday, August 24, 2009

What a difference a day makes!

We are now all firmly ensconced in 'Palmy' and i think the shell shock is beginning to wear off. After a mammoth 14 hours of gonk, Baby J is feeling a little more human as are we.

It is 0547 (Tuesday 25th August 09) and we have been up since 0500, but that is o.k. as luckily we are in a hotel, and Baby J had a travel cot and plenty of stuff to eat.

The NZDF have been very helpful thus far, met at the airport and ferried to the hotel. They offered us a night out on the town, however we declined and went to bed...how sad?

Today is a day of orientation. I think i meet the colonel at some point, but that is small fish...Stu (our friendly Kiwi) is taking us iPhone shopping....winner! We shall also go to the new house to hook up with electricity, gas and phone (hopefully interweb too!)

Breakfast starts in 30 mins, and i shall be demolishing the place. No food since my Dim Sum yesterday...rubbish!

More soon!

Hi All,

I thought we couldn't have a one sided blog, otherwise when my DH (for those who don't know, that stands for Dear Husband, not what Jonathan thinks it stands for!) goes away on ex, you won't hear anything for a whole month. So far the whole experience has been not too unpleasant although for some reason I always got to sleep next to the baby....mmm.... We're very excited to be here at last, and I for one am a little nervous following my epiphany on the plane (I forget which plane) in which I realised the enormity of the situation. We're going to live here for 2 years and it's a bit late to change my mind. Wow!

The view from the plane window was wonderful, huge snow capped mountains in the far distance, mossy green covered hills in the middle distance, and a man in a grey cloak smoking a pipe and chatting away to a small guy with hairy feet just at the base of the hills. The wide green plains seem far too big to host the modest number of (2 legged) inhabitants and a dusting of sheep seemed to cover every other available surface. It's like England, only better.

I will let you know what I think of 'Palmy' a little later, possibly from my new iPhone. So far, I think it looks a little like an American small town with wide streets and low, wood-covered buildings. Except that they drive on the proper side of the road over here, of course!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are safely arrived, keep the pictures coming too.

    ReplyDelete